Prince’s Trust Team Leader
Job Title: Team Leader
Location: Swindon or Trowbridge
Responsible to: General Manager
Salary: Dependent on experience (£21,000 to £24,000)
Context of the Role
The Prince’s Trust Team Programme changes lives. During the 12 week Programme, the Team Leader guides the participants through a series of experiential learning activities which enables them to evaluate their lives and create SMART targets for a positive future.
With support from our wider team you will work together to help young people grasp life and live it to their full potential.
Inner Flame & The Prince’s Trust
The Prince’s Trust is the UK’s leading youth charity offering 14–30 year olds opportunities to develop confidence, learn new skills, get into work and start businesses. It aims to help young people who would not otherwise have the opportunity to succeed – particularly focusing on those who are unemployed, under-skilled, within or leaving the criminal justice system or leaving care.
Inner Flame is a respected local charity and we deliver programmes for young people, aged 16-25. Currently we run the Prince’s Trust Team Programme, the Prince’s Trust Achieve Programme and our own Manage Anxiety Your Way. With wrap around mentoring support we provide a full progression route for the young people we work with.
- Team is a 12 week personal development programme for 16-25 year olds. Teams of up to 15 young people take part in a challenging and action-packed programme, a major part of which involves teamwork in the community.
- Teams are made up of people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences,. This Team ‘mix’ is a unique ingredient which contributes to the development of all Team members.
- The Team develops confidence, motivation and skills and offers young people the opportunity to gain qualifications. The aim is to help young people go on into employment, education or training after participation.
- Team activities are carried out under the guidance of the Team Leader who ensures a supportive learning environment which is vital to successful personal development.
Context of Programme Delivery
Team is delivered nationally for the Prince’s Trust by a network of ‘Delivery Partners’, organisations from the public, private and voluntary sectors who are committed to the development of young people. Delivery Partners work within The Prince’s Trust guidelines to deliver a programme of the highest quality in partnership with the Trust.
Purpose of Job
To select and lead a Team of individuals through the Team Programme. The Team Leader facilitates and encourages Team achievements, while guiding each Team member on an individual learning journey. Inner Flame runs the Programme in Swindon and Wiltshire; applications are being accepted for either location. If based in Trowbridge, you will be expected to travel to Swindon for staff meetings at least 6 times a year.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work with the Progress Coach and Admin Team to recruit a mix of unemployed Team members to participate in each Team, ensuring required paperwork is completed for each.
- Work with the Progress Coach and Admin Team to develop and maintain a local database/contact file with up to date recruitment and referral opportunities.
- Understand and be familiar with the Prince’s Trust Team Toolkit. Plan and deliver the 12-13 week personal development programme in line with that Toolkit and funders’ specifications.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the Team and with the full support of the Delivery Partner take responsibility for the Health, Safety and Welfare of the Team during all parts of the programme. – including the supervision of the Team at all times – which includes a 4 or 5-day away from home residential experience.
- Supervise the Team’s liaison with community organisations and agencies to plan, prepare and carry out appropriate community projects and challenges, and individual placements in accordance with programme quality requirements.
- Set programme objectives, to meet both team and individual needs and to deliver the expected learning outcomes (including qualifications),
- Ensure as many Team members as possible achieve their qualifications during the programme, including assessing their evidence against qualification requirements.
- Guide Team members through the completion of their Individual Learning Records to record their experiences (using Team Leader Guidelines provided as a guide).
- Plan and carry out regular individual and team reviews incorporating the development of action plans.
- Set and enforce appropriate disciplinary procedures in line with Delivery Partner and The Prince’s Trust rules, regulations and codes of conduct.
- Produce risk assessments to the required standards prior to each of the Team’s activities.
- Maintain accurate records of Team and individual performance and progress, as required.
- Submit accurate reports as necessary to the Delivery Partner Manager and the Prince’s Trust local representative contributing to the continuous quality improvement of both organisations, to include an End of Team Report recording the activities undertaken by each Team and individual progress.
- Participate in Team and Annual Quality reviews and contribute as required.
- Promote the good name of the Prince’s Trust and the Delivery Partner Organisation at all times.
- Inform Delivery Partner Manager and Prince’s Trust of all accidents, incidents and near misses and complete appropriate paperwork.
- Develop knowledge of current additional programmes and support networks likely to benefit the support, development and progression of Team members after their programme.
- Any other duties as directed by the Line Manager from time to time, provided they are broadly similar to duties normally performed by the post-holder or other post-holder engaged in similar work.
Team Programme During a Global Pandemic
The needs of the Young People we work with have continued and grown during the Pandemic. So we remain there for them. However, we put the safety of our staff as a high priority. We are now experts at delivering our Programmes online and adapting to fast changing circumstances. It is likely that the first Programme you deliver will be concurrent blended learning. But, you will need to be prepared to be flexible in your working methods and delivery could be any of the following formats, or a mix thereof depending on the current situation:
- Fully Online
- Online, with outdoor face-to-face activities
- Online, with individual 1 to 1 sessions
- Concurrent Blended Learning, with some face-to-face and others online
- Face-to-Face in bubbles
- Fully Face-to-face
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- MUST HAVE YOUTH WORK OR TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- MUST BE A PROBLEM SOLVER
- The ability to provide leadership in a challenging environment
- The ability to provide a positive role model for young people
- Organisational and administration skills and self-motivation
- Enthusiasm, stamina and a willingness to work unsociable hours when necessary
- Current driving license
- The capacity to engage with people at all levels
- Commitment to motivate and inspire disaffected young people to achieve their potential
- Experience of working with groups of young people
- Commitment to Equal Opportunities Legislation and an understanding of, and commitment to work within, the principles of diversity.
- The ability to be tactful and sensitive in communication and to empathise with young people and the agencies and professionals who deal with them.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write reports and deliver presentations to a variety of audiences
- Willingness to undertake on–going training
- The ability to work on own initiative, with the minimum of supervision, within a busy environment.
- Effective time management skills, including the ability to prioritise and manage a varied workload
- Demonstrate an empathy with and commitment to the work of the Delivery Partner and The Prince’s Trust.
- Ability to assess course work against qualifications criteria
- Appropriate teaching qualifications, or willingness to undertake these while in post.
- Experience with Microsoft Teams
- Ability to use Information and Communication Technology
- A recognised qualification or experience in supporting the delivery of Basic Skills
- Experience of planning, organising and completing practical projects
- Knowledge of the local community, its voluntary organisations and agencies
- Experience of managing Health and Safety including risk assessment
- Experience of dealing with a range of issues facing young people from a variety of backgrounds.
- A minibus license or willingness to complete appropriate minibus driver training
- First Aid experience
- Food Hygiene experience
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.