Young people represent the future of our society. Imagine what a difference it would make if each of them had all the tools and motivation to make positive choices for their lives and to reach their full potential.
‘As Western societies have got richer, their people have become no happier…this devastating fact should be the starting point for all discussions of how to improve our lot.’ Lord Layard, Author of ‘Happiness: lessons from a new science’
Inner Flame wants to help every young person it can. Our main constraint is funding. The current cost of a place on our course is detailed here. In many cases, participants or their parents are unable to cover the full cost, which is why we subsidise places by up to 99% in cases of need. We make a commitment to any eligible young person who wants to come on the course – we will work with them to make it happen, and will never let the cost prevent them from attending.
We are very grateful to our supporters who make this promise possible. We offer three ways for potential sponsors and grant givers to help us to help more young people find their direction, motivation and focus.
- Accommodation and activities during the course, including the services of experienced instructors.
- Staff salaries – while most of our team and our trustees work on a voluntary basis, administering the organisation currently requires two full time staff.
- Travel and expenses for staff, volunteers, trainers, guest speakers.
- Marketing to attract participants from the whole of our local area, including offering free open days for young people to try a new activity and hear more about what we do.
- Providing ongoing support, including post-course coaching sessions and an online community.
Details of our current grant funders can be found here.
Open Days and Challenge Events
Some events such as our open days (e.g. indoor rock climbing), are suitable for corporate sponsors whose aims are consistent with promoting health and wellbeing of young people. We will work with you to give your brand appropriate profile in the marketing for the event, and we particularly welcome sponsors who can provide volunteers to help with organising and running them.
We also run Challenge Events where course participants, company teams and the wider community can take on a challenging activity and raise funds for Inner Flame in the process, thereby “Paying it Forward” to future course participants. You can support these by sponsoring an event, or providing a company team to participate and raise personal sponsorship.
Our first big event was the Mount Everest Challenge on 20-21 June 2009, which has grown into an annual event.